Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Our Marigolds

When we bought our house - almost two years ago now, wow. blows my mind. - it came with all of its landscaping. We very much enjoy the flowers and plants, which include hydrangeas and day lilies and various shrubs, and one of our top favorites is our pink tree. I personally swoon for this tree.


But I think my most favorite thing about this landscaping is that the plants and shrubs  and trees pretty much take care of themselves.  This is awesome because I'm not much of a gardener. At all. It's sad to admit but this small flower bed where the previous owner planted annuals got pretty overgrown with weeds. I hadn't even touched it last spring, let alone weeded it. I was determined to get my hands muddy this season and pull those weeds out and plant some flowers.
 

When the kids and I were at the Farmer's Market the other day, we purchased a flat of flowers that the salesperson recommended.  Before we could plant them, we had to tend to this flower bed.  This picture is mid-progress of my and Narls' weeding.  It was a tough job; way harder than I imagined.  Clay was busy mowing the yard and Em did a bit of this and a bit of that, but my boy stayed by my side the whole evening and cleaned out this entire flower bed with me.   


Narls: "Mom, is this fun?"
Me: "Nope, not at all."
Narls: "I didn't sink so."

He was a great help and provided a ton of insightful comments and comic relief.  I couldn't have made it through without him, even if he did demand to wear the only pair of gardening gloves we own.  I ruined a manicure in the process.



But it was so worth it because look how pretty our marigolds are! Narls and I are unabashingly proud of our first attempt at gardening. In fact, these cheerful golden flowers are now our favorite part of our yard.  It's been a week and they're not only still living, but they're thriving. We're naturals, obvs. 

1 comment:

  1. Your yard (well, the entire house) is so beautiful. My grandma has a tree similar to that in her backyard. It only stays bloomed until a storm or strong winds come though since the flowers are so delicate :(

    ReplyDelete